Pages of Interest

Saturday, March 1, 2008

Surgical News for Bennett!

Thursday, February 08, 2007



Current mood: accomplished
Category: Goals, Plans, Hopes

Hello All,
First I want to say .......Thanks to all of you for your continued interest, and words of comfort. I couldn't get through this difficult time without you.

I travelled to Toronto again this week to see a surgeon on February 6th. I had the honor of meeting with the Chief of Surgery, a very nice man. He has agreed to perform Bennett's required Left CONGENITAL DIAPHRAGMATIC HERNIA surgery personally. I am very relieved to hear this for a couple of reasons.

1. I was told it may be impossible to find a surgeon willing to perform this particular surgery on a Trisomy 13 baby.

2. This surgeon is highly skilled. He has been involved in the separation surgery on three different sets of conjoined twins. Here is more info if anyone else is interested.
http://www.torahinmotion.org/spkrs_crnr/faculty/bioJacobLanger.htm

I was joined at this appointment by my dear friend Barb, also a mom of an angel born with trisomy 13. Barb has attended each appointment I've had in Toronto to date, and is a great source of support and comfort for me. We met through the www.livingwithtrisomy13.org website, and as she lives in Toronto I was able to meet with her personally. Infact, from March 6 onward, my 4 yr old Tanner and I will be staying at the home of Barb's family awaiting the arrival of Bennett. What a generous gesture of good will.

Also in attendance at this surgical meeting was the Chief of Critical Care, the Director of Patient Representatives, the Senior Staff of Bioethics, and a Social Worker. It seems that many people are taking an interest in my precious Bennett's care. This is amazing. They each gave up an hour of their very costly time to sit down and chat with us in the very comfortable office of Chief Surgeon Dr. Langer. What an honor. I can't even tell you how pleased I am so far.

All of these fine people gave me the time to show them some pics and share stories of other children living with T-13. I shared with them my intense love for my Bennett, and explained to them that these living children go on to HAVE A QUALITY OF LIFE.......AS WELL AS GIVE A QUALITY OF LIFE!

I explained that the information that many in the medical profession have concerning these trisomy 13 survivors is very outdated and lacking in proper insight into the precious lives of these children. Who knows what these children can accomplish if given the opportunity of survival.

When Dr. Langer told me he will personally do the required surgery I broke down in tears. I could hardly breathe. I was so relieved to hear those words spoken. Thinking back on that brings tears to my eyes now.

I know there is no guarantee of survival......but to just know he is going to be given a chance is such a huge relief to me. Knowing that he is going to be in the hands of one of the best surgeons around is also a HUGE RELIEF!

I have attended this hospital 3 years ago for my Tristan's surgery. His surgeon was also a very nice man, but I did not get led into a cushy, private office, surrounded by so many other wonderful people either. God must surely be pulling some strings for us.

Thanks again for being such loving and considerate friends. I am so grateful for each and every one of you.

Much love, big hugs and kisses too.......
From Melissa & Bennett......and family!

No comments:

Post a Comment

~Comments Welcome~~Please feel free to leave one <3
Love, Peace, & Nimkee Blessings to you all....M